Treasurer > Driver Licensing
Wilson County is a satellite office for the State of Kansas in the Driver's License Department.
The documentation we are allowed to accept for replacement of Class C and M DL's or ID cards has changed.
All original applicants must present one item from list A, a second item from list A, B, C or D, proof of residency and proof of principle residence address. Applicants that were not born in the US or those that are not American citizens must provide proof of lawful presence from list B, a second item from list C or D, proof of residency and proof of principle residence address.
All applicants for renewal must present the expiring license or ID card and at least one item from list E for proof of residency and proof of principle residence address. If they do not have the driver’s license or ID card, they must present items as though they are an applicant for a replacement driver’s license or ID card.
All applicants for a replacement driver’s license or ID card must present at least two items from list A, B, C or D for proof of identity, and at least one item from list E for proof of residency and proof of principle residence address.
A Social Security number is required from all applicants; however, it will not be used as the driver license or identification card number. If a Social Security number cannot be provided, documentation from list B, proving lawful presence will be required along with proof of residency and proof of principle residence address. All documents presented must be the original or a certified copy; no photocopies will be accepted.
PLEASE NOTE - An out of state license is acceptable as a second form of ID, but not as proof of legal name and date of birth. Visit the National Center for Health Statistics at www.cdc.gov/nchs/howto/w2w/w2welcom.htm for information on obtaining birth certificates, marriage licenses, and divorce decrees from each state.
A) Documentation for American Citizens or persons born in the United States:
1. Certified U.S. birth certificate (federal, state, county, Dept. of Justice)
2. Birth Certificate from a U.S. territory (Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, and US Samoa)
3. U. S. Passport or Passport Card – not expired
4. U. S. Military ID – not expired (active duty, dependent, retired, reserve or National Guard)
5. Certified Order of Adoption-original U.S. document
6. Certificate of Naturalization with intact photo (Form N-550, N-570 or N-578)or Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (Form N-560, N-561 or N-645)
7. U.S. military Common Access Card with photo, DOB, name and branch of service
8. U.S. government-issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad
B) Documentation for those not born in the US or those that are not American Citizens:
1. Valid foreign passport with I-94 or valid "Processed for I-551" stamp with a mandated departure date greater than 60 days in the future –
No Border Crossing Cards
2. I-94 with refugee status (passport not required)
3. Valid I-551 Resident Alien/Permanent resident card
4. Valid photo Employment Authorization (issued by U.S. Dept. of Justice)
C) Documentation for Proof of name change:
1. Certified marriage certificate, U.S., city, county, state issued
2. Certified divorce decree, U.S. with official signature
3. Certified court order of name change, U.S. only
4. Certified court order of adoption
5. Marriage certificate from a foreign country – If not in English, the certificate must be translated
D) Additional Documentation to apply for a replacement Kansas DL or ID card:
1. Valid motor vehicle registration with signature
2. Selective Service Card with signature
3. Valid life insurance card or policy
4. Valid health insurance card or policy
5. Kansas Vehicle title
6. Diploma or GED
7. Valid Kansas school or college identification card with photograph; or, commercially produced school yearbook with photo less than three years old
8. Professional license
9. Medicare identification card
10. Student identification card
11. Employee identification card
12. Parole documents
13. Medical records
14. Kansas voter registration card
15. Photo DL or ID previously issued by Kansas or any other state
16. A copy of any federal or state income tax return bearing the signature of the person
17. May recite recent Kansas driving history to satisfaction of Examiner
18. An identification certificate issued by the department of corrections to an offender under the supervision of the secretary of corrections
E) Documents for Proof of Kansas Residency and/or Proof of Residence Address - must be in the name of the applicant (this list is not all inclusive, other documents may work to provide proof of residency and address).
1. Kansas school forms; such as tuition invoices, receipts, class schedules, report cards, DE-99, or transcripts with the applicant’s Kansas residence address; or, school, college or university records containing the student’s name and Kansas residence address and valid school or college identification card with photograph
2. Utility bills that display a Kansas residence address
3. Kansas property tax bill or receipt indicating a Kansas residence address
4. Kansas mortgage documents or homeowner insurance documents for a Kansas residence or proof of Kansas home ownership with a Kansas residence address
5. W-2 Form not more than 18 months old with the applicant’s name and Kansas residence address
6. Valid Kansas Motor Vehicle registration
7. Proof of Kansas public assistance with a Kansas residence address
8. Residential rental and/or lease agreement with a Kansas residence address; credit card statement with residence address issued within the last 90 days; checking or savings account statement within 60 days
9. Payroll check stub issued within the last two months imprinted with applicant’s Kansas residence address
10. Original monthly bank statement not more than two months old issued by a bank with Kansas residence address
11. Utility bill, not more than two months old, issued to the applicant (Cellular phone and pager bills are not acceptable)
12. Current automobile, life or home owners insurance bill that includes the name and residence address of applicant (cards or policies are not accepted)
13. Copies of school records/transcripts from a Kansas school in which the applicant is currently attending
14. Driver’s license, learner’s permit, DMV issued identification card with photo, or renewal notice; displaying the applicant’s current residence address
15. U.S. Postal Service change of address confirmation form or postmarked U.S. marked mail with forwarding address label (must display applicant’s name)
16. Letter from social welfare institution (homeless shelter, battered women’s shelter, halfway house, group home, orphanage, etc) stating applicant is resident of facility
17. An identification certificate issued by the department of corrections to an offender under the supervision of the secretary of corrections containing a residence address verification
DE-56a (rev. 03/08)
The implementation of the REAL ID act has made it necessary to gather certified documents from the customer for their own protection from identity theft. ONLY documents on the Kansas approved list will be accepted.
WE ARE NOT FULL SERVICE AND ARE LIMITED TO RENEWING CLASS "C" AND "M" LICENSES.
Call ahead to see if we can provide the service you need.